Skip to main content

Guardian Spirits

In ancient Rome, small towers were erected at crossroads to house the Lares Compitalicii, guardian spirits to whom offerings were left. The shrines provided a focus for the religious and social life of their community, particularly for the lower classes. This may be the origin of the concept of Watchtowers in Western magic. There were many different types of Lares, or guardian spirits, in ancient Rome. The concept of familiar spirits may be based on the Lares Familiares, guardian spirits of the household. A shrine was usually kept to the household Lar near the hearth or in a corner of the atrium, in the form of a cupboard or niche containing a small statue or painting. The familiar spirits were called upon as witnesses for important family occasions such as coming-of-age rituals, marriages, births and adoptions. Offerings such as spelt wheat and grain-garlands, honey cakes and honeycombs, grapes and first fruits, wine and incense were presented to the Lares. If any food fell on the floor during a banquet, it was deemed property of the Lares. The Lares were regarded as cthonic ancestral spirits who could be helpful and protective to those who paid tribute to them, but malevolent to those who neglected them.

Do you ever feel like there is a guardian spirit protecting an area? Do some places feel more "alive" than others? Does every place have a certain "energy" about it, or qualities that give it some "personality"? I think if we take the time to acknowledge the "feel" of a space, we can get some idea of the inherent "character". Your own home is probably the best place to start, but the street you're on and the wider neighbourhood should also be considered. How does it feel to you? How do other people feel about the area? Do we love the place we live in, or do we just tolerate it? What kind of relationship do we have with the immediate environment?

These are all questions I've been tackling since I moved to Weymouth. I knew when I moved here that it felt right, and it just called to me in a way that I couldn't deny. I don't know if you've ever gone to view a property and just got that feeling like it's the right place for you? Is it ok to go off gut instinct when making such huge decisions? I usually trust my instincts and go with it. Of course we need to think rationally about our choices, but the emotions are also very important, and indicate a deeper wisdom within us.

Once I moved into my new place, I straight away got a sense of a "guardian spirit" who wanted to make sure I would take good care of the building. The house is a couple of hundred years old, so it's seen plenty of people come and go. What kind of impression had each inhabitant made? How would the history of the place affect me? I think a happy home relies on care and respect. If we keep the "spirit" of the place happy, then the spirit will keep us happy too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...