Skip to main content

Light and Dark

Through our daily earthbound life, we recognise the sun rising in the east (northeast in the summer and southeast in the winter) and mounting the sky. The sun rarely passes directly overhead, and rather we see it moving toward the south, if you're in the northern hemisphere. The sun will then set toward the west (southwest in the winter and northwest in the summer). This all changes if you're in the southern hemisphere, where the sun will appear to travel through the north, rising in the southeast at winter and the northeast at summer, and rising in the southwest in summer and northwest in winter. The following diagram shows the perceived passage of the sun for each hemisphere.

For this reason, I would place my altar in the South and draw the circle anti-clockwise if I were in the southern hemisphere. Whether we are in the southern or northern hemisphere, the altar is placed in the darkest quarter of the circle, where the sun is perceived to travel under the earth. Psychologically speaking, the darkest quarter symbolises the hidden depths of the unconscious, also known as the shadow.

Darkness and shadow do not signify evil in Wicca, as they do in some other religions. We don't have a good-evil polarity in Wicca. The dark-light polarity signifies the necessary growth and decay of natural phenomena. The darkness is a place of rest and rejuvination, sleep and unconsciousness. It signifies the great mysteries of life, everything which is unknown and yet to be discovered. The dark quarter signifies both the unknown depths of the infinite universe, and the unknown depths of our own minds. As witches, we strive not to fear the unknown, but to bravely face the shadows.  With torch in hand we seek out the secrets of the cosmos, and illuminate the depths.

The unconscious mind contains our repressed feelings, automatic skills, subliminal perceptions, thoughts, habits, automatic reactions, and possibly also complexes, hidden phobias and desires. Our dreams reveal the unconscious processes of our minds, and are therefore important parts of our lives. Throughout our waking lives, the brain carries out many processes that we are not conscious of, filtering the information that we receive through our senses and running our most vital bodily functions. It is from our unconscious processes that all our thoughts and perceived decision making arises. By understanding this unconscious process, we come to understand why we have the thoughts we do.

The shadow within ourselves represents everything that we refuse to acknowledge about ourselves. It may be experienced as a deep well, a tight passage, a narrow door, through which we must squeeze through to encounter a clearer perception of ourselves, warts and all. It may be that the self we encounter in this dark mirror is more pleasant than we expected. Those with low self esteem may discover a reflection which is far more positive than previously acknowledged. Making the journey into the shadow is a chance to reveal the things we didn't know about ourselves. The ultimate depth of the human mind is the home of the gods, the archetypes which we experience in dreams and other states of consciousness.

I think it's important that we recognise that the unconscious is not a thing or a place, it is simply a lack of awareness, just as darkness is not a thing or a place, it is just an absence of visible light. The more we become consciously aware of, the more enlightened we become. Our journey into the darkness is a discovery of secrets, a necessary passage for mental illumination.


Comments

  1. "Whether we are in the southern or northern hemisphere, the altar is placed in the darkest quarter of the circle, where the sun is perceived to travel under the earth."
    It seems so obvious now, seeing you write it out, but somehow I never managed to put that together. That's the wonderful (and humbling) thing about Paganism. You can practice for years, and still have moments that make you feel like a complete n00b.

    Thank you for teaching me something new! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well it only occured to me as I started to write about it. It's funny how something you never paid much attention to before can suddenly click! So glad to help. Blessings )O(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts )O(

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...