Skip to main content

What is Religion?

What does it mean for a body of practices/beliefs to be considered a "religion"? Some people claim that a religion is officially recognised once it becomes tax exempt, but this is not true. Any charitable organization can claim tax exemption, and this often includes religious organizations that are serving the community. Just because your organization has been officially recognised as a charity, doesn't make it an "official religion" as there is no such thing as an "official religion" in UK and US law. Religious freedom laws allow individuals to manifest their personal religion, expressing their beliefs, in any way they see fit, so long as they are not in violation of other laws. So, if the law cannot tell us what is and isn't a religion, who can?

The Cambridge dictionary defines religion as "an activity which someone is extremely enthusiastic about and does regularly". The Oxford dictionary says religion is "a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion". The word was first used in Middle English to refer to life under monastic vows, from the Latin "religio" meaning "obligation, bond, reverence", which is based on the Latin "religare" meaning "to bind". What this tells us is that a religion is anything that you have dedicated yourself to pursuing, any lifestyle that you have chosen to follow, anything you feel passionately enough about to commit to. This can be compared with "faith" in the sense that being "faithful" means being "loyal" and "continuing to support or follow something" that you believe in.

So tell me, what is your religion/faith? What is it that you are dedicated to, what have you committed yourself to? What are you willing to give your time and energy to? Nobody has the right to tell you that what you practice is not a "real religion". You don't need to be part of a group (a church, a coven, etc) in order to practice a religion. You don't need anyone else to validate what you feel most strongly about. Your religion is up to you. 


Comments

  1. Interesting, I have several religions if that is the case. Nature, herbs for natural healing and social justice. Thanks for the post, makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, it seems like there's still something missing there. I am devoted to my family, but that doesn't make them my religion. I am devoted to blogging (haven't missed a day in over two years on my main blog), but don't consider it a religion. Definitely devoted to divination, which comes closer to being a religious pursuit for me, rather than a religion per se. Part of my religion is perhaps my faith in being able to speak with spirit, through the cards...

    Thanks for another thought-provoking post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog you have some fabulous posts here. It's a funny one the whole religion topic, I'm a Pagan as in 'nature is my religion' but I take so much from so many religions, pagan and non pagan, I like not having to define myself and being free to walk my own path!
    blessings to you, Alison xx

    http://www.astartemoonblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts )O(

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...