Skip to main content

Approaching Eostre


We are currently in the lunar month of goddess Rheda, and the Spring Equinox is drawing near. The next lunar month is that of goddess Eostre, also known as Ostara. For this reason, many pagans celebrate the Spring Equinox as the festival of Ostara. Who is this mystery goddess? It was the 8th century historian Saint Bede who made written record of this Anglo-Saxon deity. He claimed that the Christian festival of Christ's resurrection became known as Easter because it falls on the first Sunday after Eostre's full moon. Her name is ultimately related to the word east, which comes from the Proto-Indo-European word for "shine" or "dawn". Therefore, we assume that Eostre is a goddess of the dawn, and the increasing sunlight which follows the Spring Equinox. There are several places in England which may have been named after the goddess, such as Eastry in Kent, Eastrea in Cambridgeshire, and Eastrington in Yorkshire. Jacob Grimm theorised that her Old Germanic name would have been Ostara. Etymologically, she is connected to the goddesses Eos, Aurora and Ushas, all personifications of the dawn. I imagine, that had English, Greek, or Roman religions survived to the present day, they would have turned out a lot like contemporary Hinduism.

Polytheism may seem like a chaotic world cluttered by a myriad of gods, but for many pagans there is also a belief in a universal or pantheistic deity which unifies this world view. The hundreds of thousands of gods are regarded as faces or masks of one divine being. This "world soul" is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. The all-god or pan-theos is the ultimate reality, the universe itself. In Hinduism, this supreme gender-neutral god is called Brahman. There are however many different interpretations of the scriptures within Hinduism, and many different beliefs about Brahman and the gods. Likewise, there are many interpretations of the European gods. There is a saying, "you can't see the forest for the trees" which I like to apply to theology. You might spend time getting to know every tree individually, but if you stand on top of a mountain, you stop seeing individual trees, and you see one big green organism called forest.

As a dawn goddess, Eostre represents enlightenment, the awakening of consciousness. New ideas and realisations are brought to light. Your perception becomes clearer. You wake up to the true reality. You see things as they really are. The ancient Greek poet Homer described the dawn goddess as rosy-fingered, golden-armed, and wearing a saffron coloured robe embroidered with flowers. She is often described as a lover of mortal men, which perhaps symbolises the pleasure of enlightenment. She rouses her lovers with a passion for truth and understanding. In Christian iconography she may be seen as Sophia, a winged figure in saffron robes, seated upon a golden throne. The book of Proverbs describes her as "a breath of the power of God, and the radiance of the glory of the Almighty... She is a reflection of eternal light, a spotless mirror of the working of God, and an image of his goodness" (Wis 7:25-26) and Solomon confessed; "I loved her and sought her from my youth; I desired to take her for my bride, and became enamored of her beauty" (Wis 8:2).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...