Skip to main content

The Magician - One

It's no secret that I'm pretty fucking magic. By that, what I mean is that I have the ability to get shit done in a creative and exciting way. I believe we all have magic powers. I'm not talking about supernatural abilities, I'm talking about our every day power to make stuff happen. Magic is the art of change and influence. My daily performance of taking charge of my own life might seem like miracle working. But what am I really doing? How does the trick work?

Tarot of Marseilles
If we translate the French name for this card, it is the "sleight of hand artist" or "illusionist". This card points toward the fact that we are living in a world of illusion, or false perception. It seems to us that the world is made up of separate parts, of opposites, of polarity. We feel ourselves to be individuals who are separate from the rest of the world. This is the illusion of ego. The number One represents the individuality of a separate "I" or "ego" who acts independently of the world. Being independent from the rest of the world is a false perception, an illusion. The Magician represents the ability to manipulate people's perceptions. The Magician's audience witness a stage act which is mysterious to them. This performance represents life to the individual. It seems like life is just a game, and they are just characters in a play. When awakened to the outside influences in one's life, and the interconnectedness and oneness of the Universe, one begins to lift the veil of illusion.

Real magic is the art of illusion, the ability to manipulate perceptions. The Magician is a mystic, an initiate, one who understands the secret workings behind why and how things happen. It is a falsehood to believe that you as an individual person, an ego, is in control of one's life. Free will is an illusion. In reality, every thought that streams through your consciousness is fed to you from the world. You are not an independent thinker. You are a medium through which ideas are expressed. Your decisions in life as to which action to take are not free from outside influences. You do not willfully decide who to be and what to do with your life. You are not in charge, because the ego that you identify with is not a reality. Your ego or personality is not a solid object, seperate from the rest of the world. It is an illusion of separateness, built up from your limited experience of the world. You are one point of perspective among an infinite number of points through which the Universe is perceiving itself.

Maya is term found in Pali and Sanskrit literature, which can be translated to mean something of an "illusion" or more accurately a "delusion". In Hindu mythology, Maha-Maya clouds the knowledge of the new born babe, bestowing individual ego, ideas of ownership, and involving him in pleasures and pain of the transactional world. Maya is the principal deity that manifests, perpetuates, and governs the illusion and dream of duality in the phenomenal Universe. The goal of enlightenment is to understand this—more precisely, to experience this: to see that the distinction between the self and the Universe is a false dichotomy. In Mahayana Buddhism, the magician's illusion exemplifies how people misunderstand themselves and their reality, when we could be free from this confusion. The magician's illusion may exist and function in the world on the basis of some props, gestures, and incantations, yet the show is illusory. The viewers participate in creating the illusion by misperceiving and drawing false conclusions. For the Mahayana Buddhist, the ego is maya, like a magic show, and so are objects in the world.

"Mahamaya" by Avishankar Mitra
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...