Skip to main content

Strength (or Fortitude) - Eleven

The Tarot of Marseilles
Historically, the eleventh Tarot card was called "force" or "fortitude". Fortitude meant moderation in attitudes toward pain and danger, with neither being avoided at all costs, nor actively wanted. The image shows a woman holding open the mouth of a beast. Clearly there is danger here, but she straddles the beast and appears to take great care in what she needs to do. This means having the courage to do what needs to be done, without acting recklessly. We might also call this card "prudence", stressing self-discipline and careful consideration of one's actions.

The number eleven is associated with the zodiac, because out of the twelve zodiac"signs" there is always one hidden behind the sun, leaving eleven visible. The eleventh sign of the zodiac is Aquarius, which the ancient Babylonians associated with the god Ea, also known as Enki. He is the master craftsman of the universe who bestows the "Arts of Civilization". In Christianity, the number eleven relates to the disciples of Jesus. When Judas betrayed Jesus, there were eleven faithful disciples left. In the ancient Babylonian creation story, Tiamat is supported by eleven monsters. In ancient Rome, a police force consisted of eleven men charged with the responsibility to find a wanted person. Several sports, such as football and cricket, consist of teams of eleven. All this suggests that the number eleven represents the cooperation of a group working together.

In the Kabbalah, eleven represents the sphere of Daath meaning "knowledge". The state of "knowing" can be likened to "enlightenment". Daath is a portal through which our perception becomes clear. In such a state of clear thinking, we are able to make wise decisions. Now we see how this links with the concept of fortitude as an attitude of prudence and artful mastery. This is what the eleventh Tarot card means to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...