Skip to main content

The Devil - Fifteen

Tarot of Marseilles
Here we have a Medieval depiction of the devil, with antlers, long ears, several faces on his body, and bat wings. Before him, two smaller figures with antlers, long ears, and long tails, are tied down. What could this mean? The numbers fifteen could be thought of as 1+5=6. In which case there is a strong link to the sixth card, The Lovers. Indeed we see a similar scene. Both cards feature a couple facing each other, with an influential figure above them. The Lovers are brought together by Cupid's arrow, inflaming their hearts with adoration for one another. The Devil however represents the animalistic lust of carnal desire. The couple are bound by ropes around the neck, representing their servitude. When you live a life in servitude to your materialistic desires, you experience suffering, because no matter how much you feed your desires, you will always want more. You become enslaved by your desire for more.

Quite literally, the couple are experiencing attatchment to the material realm, which causes suffering because the material realm is in constant shift, and is therefore impossible to grasp and keep hold of. You can amass all the material goods you can buy, but money can't buy you happiness. You will slave away all day to afford the material goods you desire, but this constant slaving away for material desires will only bring anxiety. We are constantly being tempted by the allure of new things to buy and own. We collect up these things because we think they will make us happy. We are also tempted by the allure of popularity and fame. We are easily lead to believe that achieving fame will bring happiness. We are tempted by the allure of delicious food and drink, succumbing to gluttony and drunkeness. We are tempted by the allure of beautiful bodies, leading us to mislead each other and break each other's hearts. We are tempted to do things which may bring some short term gratification, but in the end they cause us suffering. This card says "think twice about your fickle desires, don't be lead astray."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...