Skip to main content

Full Moon in Taurus




This will be the last Supermoon of the year, as the moon begins to move further away from the Earth. The energy of Taurus is one of grounded reassurance and perseverance against all odds. Solid and persistent, just like the bull, the energy of Taurus brings out your stubborn streak. You may find comfort in age old traditions and ancient customs which seem to call to you from the mists of time. Indulge your senses in the incense and music of earth-centred, life affirming ritual. You will benefit from giving your home a little make-over, adding decorations that remind you of the beauty of nature. This is a good time to go outside and collect pebbles, shells, leaves, flowers, or anything else that may call to you. This full moon reminds you that despite any problems you may face in life, the trees and rocks are still standing solid, and they will still be there long after you're gone. It gives you a sense of perspective, and asks you to consider what will be remembered and what will be forgotten. Do you have your priorities right? Are you paying attention to the important things in life? Wake up to the natural world around you, and remember the simple down-to-earth lifestyle that once was.

I have spent a fair bit of time drawing today, because I have had this project in mind to draw elemental spirits, and I wanted to focus on the earth element today. I started by drawing a crystal cluster, as they are a good representation of earth energy. Way down beneath our feet there are layers of rocks, minerals, and crystals. Quartz crystal is probably the most common, and comes in many colours, such as "smokey", "milk", "amethyst", and "citrine". The element of earth symbolises that which is hard, sturdy, steadfast, and resilient. Those with an earth temperament are said to be serious, studious, traditional and stubborn. Of course, Taurus is an earth sign, so this energy is strong tonight. The folkloric creature said to represent the earth element is the gnome. Also known as dwarves, little people, or wee folk, the gnomes are said to live underground, are often described as wearing conical hats. They can also be referred to as faerie folk, as the word "faerie" refers to all things magical and mythological. That's why we read "fairy tales" as they are a recollection of ancient folklore. Pictured above is one of the many beautiful gnome illustrations by Rien Poortvliet. I've been posting my own artwork on instagram.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...