Skip to main content

Thank You, Universe


You know what? I've been getting a lot of good signs from my new home. I mean, as soon as I lay eyes on this place, I knew it was right. I stepped into the living room and I said yes, this is good! We decided to put a deposit down straight away. It was the first place I viewed! At first I felt a bit nervous about making such an impulsive decision. What if I'd been too hasty? I didn't inspect it properly! I only had a quick glance! What if there was something wrong with it? I anxiously waited to get the keys and have a proper look round. I went in and looked around again, this time a little more cautiously. Tom stopped and said, 'look on the back of the door!' There was a big white butterfly shaped coat hook. 'It's a sign!' he smiled. Remember the card I drew, 'Tattered Dreams'? It said that the butterfly would be a sign of hope for the future. Well, seeing that butterfly coat hook was enough of a sign, but more signs kept coming. Tom measured the living room and told me it's exactly the same size as our old one, so we wouldn't have any trouble fitting in the furniture. Oddly enough, our sofa fits exactly between the chimney breast and the wall, as though it were made to measure. And everything else just seemed to slot into place. Off to a good start!

Then I noticed that the toilet seat was broken, it was coming off the hinge. Better buy a new one. You know what type I've always wanted? One of those see-through ones with shells and starfish and beachy stuff inside it. Yeah, I'd love one of those! Anyway, we were looking around the flat, for places to put things, and I suggested putting things on top of the kitchen cabinets. Tom had a look to see what he could fit up there, and he found a box. A really heavy box! You know what was inside? A toilet seat. Not just any old toilet seat. A brand new see-through toilet seat with shells and starfish and beachy stuff inside. We gawped at each other, wandering which one of us planeted it there. Who left this here for us? Now it really feels like fate. This flat was sat here waiting for us, it was our destiny.


Annika

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...