Skip to main content

Secrets of a Modern Witch

Shortly after the summer solstice, I took a walk to the cliff tops, just ten minutes from where I live. I have been thinking about doing this for a long time, debating with myself whether or not it was a good idea. I decided to put a face to the name and say hello to you all.



I have just uploaded this video and my palms are sweating with anxiety. I am quite a shy person. I speak in a hushed voice around people I don't know and struggle to meet them in the eye when I'm not feeling confident. It took me a long time to build up the ability to stand in front of a group of people and speak to them. When I was in university and had to give a presentation to the class, I would feel sick and quake in my boots! But when I started to make videos, I felt a lot more at ease. I gradually became less shy about public speaking, and would fearlessly offer my opinion infront of the class in university. I'm still very awkward around people and it takes me a long time to get to know someone well enough to relax. My close friends are often surprised by how much I come out of my shell when I feel more secure.

I have never been the kind of person to get up on stage and enjoy the lime light, but over the past year I have been learning "tribal bellydance" and had my first performance last month. It felt great to get dressed up and dance in front of a small crowd. Not only has this helped me feel comfortable infront of an audience but it has also taught me to have body confidence and feel good about the way I look. Throughout my teens I had very low self esteem and considered myself very ugly, wishing I could have cosmetic surgery to fix all my "faults". Now I have learned to love what I am, knowing that difference is what makes us beautiful!

When it comes to religion, spirituality, and beliefs, I can't tell you how much I have grown and evolved over the past 15 years. I have struggled with anxiety and depression, falling into suicidal depths of despair. But it was these moments of experiencing rock bottom that powerfully transformed my understanding of life. Through losing myself in the darkness, I was able to see a true light. I felt a spiritual death that expanded my sense of being. No longer was I the little girl lost in a big bad world. I became the world in which a little girl was lost.

It's hard to put into words so I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense. What I'm trying to say is that I realised that only through serving others could I fulfil my purpose in life. I wondered what little old me could possibly offer to others. I don't have any money to help others with, but perhaps I could help people by blogging and making videos. Because I was somewhat of a recluse during my teenage years, I spent a lot of time reading and learning about Modern Witchcraft. I also spent a lot of time drawing and painting. These two areas of expertise are all I have to offer as my small contribution to the world.

There are still things that I consider secret and will keep private, because not everything is for sharing. I don't want this blog or my videos to be about me, I want them to be about my work. My work isn't about earning money, it's not about becoming rich and famous. My work is my service to others, to contribute toward our global evolution.

Comments

  1. I identify with you in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Merry Meet. You look familiar. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing. You and I have dealt with the same things in much the same ways. Be blessed. )O(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you, OathBound! Nice blog and cool video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice blog and great video!
    Blessed be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts )O(

Popular posts from this blog

The Dorset Ooser

  A massive wooden head with snapping jaw mechanism, real horns and hair. Photo from 1883-1891.  The Dorset Ooser has possible connections to the horned costumes sometimes worn by participants in English Mummers plays. The etymology of Ooser is also disputed, with various possibilities available, but I think it's most likely the same as the Oss, a snapping skull paraded around during midwinter. The pronunciation is very similar, and it's simply a way of saying "horse" without pronouncing the h. These teeth-gnashing heads are also known as 'obby 'oss or hobby horse.  One use of the Dorset Ooser was to strike fear into villagers who were perceived as shameful. Usually the target was an unruly wife who had disobeyed her husband by raising her voice, scolding him, beating him, or cheating on him. A woman who was perceived as a bad wife was forced to ride backwards on a donkey or horse while the angry Ooser snapped his jaw at her and a crowd of villagers beat their...

Wicca is not a Box, it's a Circle

Stewart and Janet Farrar There are a lot of people who choose not to use the word Wicca, because they see it as too restrictive and dogmatic. A dogma is an official system of belief held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. But who has the authority to decide what the official beliefs of Wicca are? I would suggest that Wicca as a whole is not dogmatic, but that some Wiccan groups may be. In Wicca it is generally agreed that every coven is autonamous, independent and self-governing, not subject to anyone else's laws. No Wiccan has the right to tell another coven what they can or cannot do. We can give each other advice, sure, that's what the Rede is after all, a piece of advice. This is what makes Wicca so difficult to define, and I think the difficulty makes some people very uncomfortable. Other religions seem more than willing to offer up official creeds, rules and regulations by which they may be recognised. Other religions have sacred texts, but Wicca ...

A Coven of Witches

Last year I posted an advert on witchvox calling for local people who would be interested in starting a new coven. Interest has been slowly and steadily growing. I currently have a potential coven of 10 ladies. I'm excited in a nervous kind of way. I am not the most socially confident person. The thought of meeting strangers is quite terrifying. I don't know how many of the potential witches are really up for trying this. I always assume that out of all who express an interest, only half will follow through. Since last year I had a good feeling about May, that this would be the time for new projects. I've proposed a coven meeting in May and so far three individuals have said they would like to meet up. What I worry about is being able to meet everyone's needs, because I want the coven to work for everyone. I want clear communication, this is the most important thing, that we are able to share our ideas. I don't like the idea of a coven where a select leadership...